Using visuals to solve
Using visuals to solve problems really works.
Working visually draws people in, allows them to see the big picture and clarifies where and how the parts work together. It leads to higher success rates.
Visual language – graphics, graphic templates and graphic recording – are key elements in the Conbrio approach. The templates and drawings – both large and small – facilitate open, direct discussions among team members; and between customers and consumers, clients and agency directors, city leaders and citizens. Working one-on-one or in groups, they are tools to reach solutions. And they work well in executive coaching situations.
A long list of stats supports the strength of graphics and graphic facilitation:
- Three-fourths of the human brain is dedicated to vision.
- People retain 60% more of what they see versus 15% of what they hear.
- The solution rate for problems goes up to 64% versus 45% without visual language.
- Visual language shortens meetings by as much as 24%, saving valuable time, human resources and dollars. Busy people like shorter meetings where things get done.
- 79% of groups reach consensus with visual language versus only 58% of groups who reach it without. It helps for groups to see the gaps and common themes on one page all at once.
- People are persuaded 17% more often in presentations using visuals/graphics versus presentations without. It means presenters who use meaningful visuals are perceived as being more effective and get their points across much more successfully.
Additional benefits come from using visuals, graphics and drawings;
- Eye-catching visuals help communication throughout a company, organization or community.
- Visuals are easier and more effective for communicating what happened.
- Graphic language enhances group memory. A plus in any meeting.
- When people SEE what they are saying they feel acknowledged.
- Mapping information on big displays facilitates understanding complex systems. Powerful images are key to mindshare and memory.
When we work with clients, we work graphically as much as possible. Some of the tools we use:
- Graphic facilitation
- Graphic recording
- Story maps
- Virtual graphic facilitation and graphic recording
To work visually is to utilize all the available tools to ensure the best chances of success.